West Coburg is off to PREMIER LEAGUE in 2015!
‘We are the Champions (my friend). We’ll keep on fighting to the end.’
A great crowd and in particular a West Coburg crowd, turned up last Sunday to see the Burgers claim the Essendon Ford Division 1 premiership cup with a 53-point win against Tullamarine at Windy Hill. We all knew that leading into last Sunday’s Grand Final, that our Senior team had the talent, the youth, the skill and the tenacity to overrun Tullamarine. After a disappointing 2nd Semi Final, it was time for pay back. The ‘silent’ motto all week was: ‘Losing is not an option’. And boy, did the team live to that expectation.
This was a team full of youth, sprinkled with some mature and wise heads. It is very important to mention that 15 of the 22 players that represented West Coburg FC are boys that have played as juniors at West Coburg. Don’t let anyone tell you that this is not a Community Club!
The Burgers edged in front at half-time in an arm-wrestle game before kicking five unanswered goals in the third term. The sting was out of the game early in the final term as we ran out Champions 13.15.93 to 5.10.40. Young Tom Baravi had a dominant game around the stoppages while running players Setanta MacAodha, Tom Drake, ‘Captain Courageous’ Robbie Hudson and Tommy McMillan exploited the open spaces on Windy Hill.
Tommy Baravi was awarded the David McWilliam Medal as best on ground. A fantastic achievement for a kid who is first year out of our Under 18.5’!!
Tullamarine's well rated forward line failed to fire with Jonathan Kent and Daniel Mangan held goalless by Burgers defenders ‘Utah’ Jazz(a) Smith, Alex Stewart, Fawez Akkari, Dane Lucas, Tom Watterson and Rosco ‘P Coltrane’ Weightman.
Last Sunday capped off what can only be described as a memorable year for our Club. Six junior teams and three senior teams participating in finals culminating in two junior and a senior premiership to cap off the hard work put in not only by the players, but the committee, the coaches, team managers, support crew, trainers, canteen ladies, and the many volunteers.
The advancement to Premier League will not be without its challenges, but it will give our Club the opportunity to play with the best the EDFL has to offer. It will give our Under 18.5’s an opportunity to play against quality opposition and to strive to be their best. It will challenge our Club to be respected amongst those clubs who may think we have no place to be there amongst them.
A very special congratulations to the young men who represented their teammates and the Club:
44. Ruairi Cleary, 87. Stefan Berak, 56. Omar Abdallah, 4. Robbie Hudson, 25. Omar Saad, 11. Setanta Macaodha, 23. Aaron Kelly, 2. Pasi Schwalger, 7. Fawez Akkari, 6. Jarryd Smith, 9. Tom McMillan, 20. Dane Lucas, 45. Debri Kutrolli, 32. Ross Weightman, 1. Marwan Abdulwahed, 10. Beau Hopkins, 36. Tom Watterson, 15. Tom Drake, 19. Jordan Gloury, 33. Alex Stewart, 22. Fouad Akkari, 27. Tom Baravi.
An even bigger thank you and congratulations to the coaching staff lead by head coach Digby Morrell, Rob Peckham, Ben Power, Ange Sidone, Seniors Team Manager Paul McMillan, Reserves Team Manager – Bernie Kirby, Sammy O’Leary / Jack Ibrahim with the stats/rotation board stuff, our water boys Dom Tenace and Mitch Kent and our trainers Douggie, Katherine and Brooke. If I’ve missed out on anyone, apologies!!
Oh yes I have, the WCFC Committee. Let’s not forget Club President and Ringmaster David Gloury, Secretary Kim Behringer, Treasurer James Baker, Vice President Glen Weaver, Apparel Enio Favero, Jack of all Trades – Tony Ring, Mrs ‘Can do’ Social Organiser/fundraiser/hellraiser– Karen Doherty, Junior Treasurer and techo/pics man – Ian Ross, Mark Orford and Jack Ibrahim. Their tireless and often thankless work behind the scenes is incredible. I only hope that when they finally get a chance to take a breath, they can at least be comforted in knowing the success of this year would not have happened without their leadership.
Senior Grand Final Result
West Coburg: 13. 15 – 93 def. Tullamarine 5. 10 – 40
Goal Kickers: R. Cleary 4, O. Abdallah 2, S. Berak 2, S. MacAodha , P. Schwalger , O. Saad , A. Kelly , R. Hudson
Best Players: R. Cleary, R. Hudson, D. Lucas, T. McMillan, J. Smith, F. Akkari
EDFL 2014 Best and Fairest Awards and 2014 Div 1 Team of the Year
Congratulations goes to ‘The Magician’ Abdi Fitaax who was named Runner Up in this year’s EDFL Div 1 B&F, polling 21 votes. It was Abdi’s second time as runner-up to Mark DeSousa of Taylors Lakes in a Hutchison Medal count after the duo went one-two in 2012. Abdi suffered a knee injury during the last home and away season missing out on the finals. Abdi epitomises the character of our West Coburg team, taking his injury in his stride and was always around training supporting his mates.
During the night the EDFL also announced the 2014 Div 1 Team of the Year to which West Coburg had four players represented in the squad: Tom Drake, Tom McMillan, Marwan Abdulwahed and of course Abdi Fitaax. Congratulations to the boys who all had a standout year.
A BIG Thank You to our Sponsors for 2014
The biggest THANK YOU goes out to our sponsors, whose support of the Club would not make all this happen. They include:
Tier 1 Sponsors
- Strathmore Community Bank, 337 Napier St, Strathmore. Contact Phil Stewart on 9374 2607 for all your personal and business needs. http://www.bendigobank.com.au/public/community/our-branches/strathmore
- Minniti Properties P/L, for all your building and renovation needs, Ph: 9383 2639 (Tony) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WGF7h3XScE
- Expedition Apparel, 19 Miller St, Brunswick (Factory outlet) for quality suits & menswear Ph: 9388 0817 http://www.expeditionapparel.com.au/
- Brown’s Corner Hotel, Bell St, Coburg, Family bistro, Functions Ph: 9354 1177 http://www.brownscornerhotel.com.au/
- Mercadante Wood Fired Pizzeria, 123 Lygon St, Carlton, Ph: 9347 6974 http://www.mercadante.com.au/
- The Old Timers, including Geoff Bramich, Don Wilde, Howard Thompson, Kevin O’Neil
- Ross Cooper
Tier 2 Sponsors
- J.L.A Group P/L, specialising in all types of concreting work: 0401 355 595 (John)
- Piedimonte’s Supermarket, Bell St, Pascoe Vale South. http://www.piedimonte.com.au/
- Central Pre-Mix Concrete Ph: 9303 9633 http://www.centralpremix.com.au/
- Benton’s Plumbtec bathroom and kitchen supplies, 204 Sydney Rd, Coburg or 2 Webber Pde, East Keilor http://www.bentons.com.au/
- Sliding Doors Restaurant & Bistro (formerly Great Expectations), 55 Fletcher St, Essendon Ph: 9370 5970 http://www.slidingdoorsrestaurant.com/
- Smith &Calder Signs, Phone Phil Smith on 0419 991 167 for all your custom signage needs. http://www.pascoevale-signs.websyte.com.au/
- Fitness M8 Personal Training, Call Jarryd on 0401 194 665 to help whip you into summer shape! http://fitnessm8pt.com.au/
Digby Morrell signs on for 2015
It is with pleasure and excitement that the Club announces that Diggers will be back at the Club for the 2015 season. Notwithstanding the success that 2014 has brought the Club, we will all agree that Digby has brought to our Club a true sense of professionalism that has permeated the whole club from Under 10’s to the senior playing group.
Motor Neurone Disease Ice Bucket Challenge.
In a ‘merry’ state of bravado, one of our supporters and junior parent – Tony Favero decided to challenge himself to the Ice Bucket Challenge (out of the Premiership Cup!) on Sunday night during the Club’s Premiership celebrations. A gold coin donation was asked of our ‘merry’ supporters and we quickly raised $150. With my employer (Westpac) ‘Matching Gifts’ program, the $150 effectively is a $300 donation to Motor Neurone Disease Research Institute of Australia. Who says West Coburg isn’t a giving Club??? Thanks Tony for icing up for the occasion. (Maybe a wrong choice of words here).
This Thursday Night 11th September: Reserves and Seniors Vote Count.
Voting will be held up to and including Round 15 of the regular season for both the Reserves and Senior teams. The event will commence at 7pm. All welcome. Bar open and pizza will be ordered in. Cost is $10. The celebrations haven’t stopped yet!!
Friday 19th September: Under 18.5, Reserves and Seniors Presentation Night. ***(Please note change of date)****
The senior team’s presentation night will be held at Brown’s Corner Hotel, Corner of Bell St and Sydney Rd, Coburg commencing 7.30pm for 8pm start. Entry to the event is $10 and ‘light finger food’ will be served. West Coburg supporters are encouraged to support our major sponsor – Browns Corner Hotel and enjoy their fantastic Bistro/Counter meals prior to the event!
This will be the final Newsletter/Wrap as the writer and his ‘lovely’ takes a hiatus from the Footy Club. The lovely and I will now kick back, crack a red (or two), dip into a fine cheese platter over the coming weekends and reminisce on the year that was at West Coburg Footy Club! Bring on 2015, but not too quickly please, as I have a bit of crawling to do!!
A big thank you from to all who have appreciated the weekly newsletter and the ‘lovely’ goings on!! She really is a beauty!
Cheers and me and the lovely will see you in 2015!!!!!!
Proud to be WEST COBURG!!!!!